Fri, 19 Jul|
Cross Lake Swim and Afternoon Tea experience
Please sign up for the waiting list to be notified when places are available.
Time & Location
19 Jul 2024, 10:00 – 14:00
Bassenthwaite Lake, Bassenthwaite Lake, Cockermouth CA13 9YN, UK
About the event
A fun new wild swimming experience where we swim across the lake to the award-winning Bassenthwaite Lake Station for afternoon tea.
Bassenthwaite Lake is one of the quietest lakes to swim in thanks to its restriction on motorised boats and even un-motorised boats. You may see the odd kayak or boats from the sailing club but, otherwise, these peaceful waters remain greatly undisturbed. The lake is often mirror-still and is overlooked by the looming bulk of Skiddaw, an impressive sight from land and even more so from the middle of the water. You'll feel small in the best possible way when you're bobbing across the centre of Bassenthwaite, relaxed and drinking in the surrounding landscape.
We will start in one location and finish in another before taking a short walk to the unique Bassenthwaite Lake Station - an old converted steam train that sits on the site of the former train station. Surrounded by woodland, and with original interiors, this is a really special place to eat - and their cake is very good too!
Need to know
- Not suitable for beginner wild swimmers - you need prior experience of swimming at least 1km in open water.
- A to B swim - we start and finish in different places.
- 1600m swim distance - relaxed sociable pace.
- All strokes welcome but with emphasis on breaststroke swimming.
- Small friendly group - no more than 8 swimmers.
- Safety cover on lake crossing.
- Short flat walk.
- Not dog friendly.
- Afternoon tea ticket included.
- Ticket cost £65.